If I have a judgement against me in civil courtm can they garnish my wages I earn in another state?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you have a judgment against you in one state and county and you now live in another state and county earning a living, the judgment creditor can apply for a sister state judgment in the state you presently reside in and levy on your back accounts as well as garnish your wages.

With that being said, you might consider entering into a written monthly installment agreement with the judgment creditor so the levy and garnishment that you are concerned about does not happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.