If I have an illegal immigrant working for me who cut himself badly today and was rushed to the hospital, how do I protect myself from a lawsuit, etc?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is little or nothing you can do after the fact. If the injury was do to something you did wrong--for example, did not train him to do the thing you asked him to do; provided inadequate safety gear, or no safety gear; the tools you gave him were the wrong ones for the job or in bad repair; you personally or another employee accidentally cut him; etc.--then you could be liable. On the other hand, if you and the company did nothing wrong, you would not be liable for his injury, so if he cut himself do to his own carelessness or the actions of some unrelated third party, that should not impose liability on you.

Before the fact, you can protect yourself by NOT having a illegal immigrant working for you, and by paying Worker's Compensation assessments and having adequate liability insurance, to make sure you are covered. Of course, Worker's Comp will probably not cover an illegal immigrant, since you can't make contributions for him to the system (he's not eligible to work in the U.S.) and your liability insurance probably has one or another exception to coverage for this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.