I have a dental account that I’ve been trying to cancel for months but it never gets cancelled, even after I was told it was, so what can I do about it?

I’ve been trying a long time now and was even told at one point that it would be cancelled and that I would be refunded my final month. It was never cancelled and today I saw another charge on my bank account. I don’t know what to do at this point, because if they won’t cancel it, how can I make them?

Asked on September 15, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Sue them: bring a lawsuit seeking both monetary compensation (for any amounts you paid after it was cancelled) and for a court order (such as in the form of a "declaratory judgment," or official court determination) that the account has been cancelled. When a business will not do what they should do voluntarily, you need a court to order them to do it. The easier way to do this is with a small claims suit just for any charges, etc. they took out, to recover the money; in the course of that suit, they can agree (in an enforceable way; e.g. by an agreement approved by the court, to settle the matter, as directed by the judge on the record) to close the account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.