If I have a green card and my baby daughter is US citizen but I need to go back to my home country for family reasons, how long can my newborn stay with me?

I know US citizens can stay in my country for 90 days without a visa. Does that apply to babies aswell?

Asked on November 15, 2015 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a baby would be treated as any other person entering your country.  See if your child would be eligible for citizenship in your home country, if that will make things easier for your baby to travel with you although it is not required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.