I have a friend that lives in an apt. She has a letter from her dr stating that she needs a handrail. What are her options?

She is 80 yrs old. The complex says it cost too much.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Business Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that the handrails are needed within her apartment.  That may be her responsibility.  If you have access to a computer (or go tolibrary if you do not) google your County name with the words "Center for Aging" or iaaa.org (an Indiana organization on the aging) and contact them for help.  They will help put you on the right track.  If the handrails are necessary to keep her safe they may be able to find a way to get them for her or defer the cost.  If she has a lease you should bring that with you to the agency.  Good luck.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.