What to do if I have a friend who claims that I stole half her medication and stole her jewelry?

She claims that the night I stayed at her house on the 4th, is when I stole the stuff. Now it’s the 18th a policeman just came to my house to question me. They said that the person claims that I admitted to taking her medication. If I did admit to it, then why did she wait 2 weeks to report it? Can they arrest me on this person’s word?

Asked on January 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Arkady Bukh / Bukh Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can be arrested on this witness's testimony, however, whether or not the District Attorney will charge you depends on what further evidence there is against you.  You do need to retain a criminal defense attorney right away and give them all of the facts of this matter so that they can investigate it also as the police will probably be doing the same.  

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, someone can be arrested on the testimony of one witness, if the authorities believes that person is credible enough to establish "probable cause" that a crime was committed. A person can even be convicted on the testimony of one person, if that person is so credible and persuasive in court that a jury believes he/she has proven the case beyond a reasonable doubt. If being investigated by police and accused of a crime, retain a criminal defense attorney to advise and represent you, and do not  speak to anyone about  this matter before speaking with your lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.