What can be done if I have a friend in the middle of a divorce and her husband cancelled the car on their shared insurance policy without notifying her and she later had an accident?

The insurance com[any failed to notify her as well. A few days after that happened she got into a wreck. Now the person that she wrecked with is suing her for $49,000 and she is not sure what to do. Is there anything that can help her legally?

Asked on November 10, 2015 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since your friend did not have insurance and was at fault in the accident, it would be advisable for her to file bankruptcy when there is a court judgment against her.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate her debt resulting from the auto accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.