What to do if I have a felony theft warrant that was issued against me 8 years ago?

I have no way financially to come back to the state in question. It is non-extradition case. Is the warrant still valid? How can I take care of this? I’ve been told I have to appear in person.

Asked on August 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You shoudl retain a lawyer in the state where you are charged.  Chances are, you will have to reprot back to that state on the warrant where conditions of release can be set pending additional hearings.  The warrant may or may not be active, but it can still  cause significant issues if you are ever stopped. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.