If I have a felony on my record that was supposed to be sealed when I was a juvenile but wasn’t, what should I do?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area to review your juvenile record to either 1) go back before the court in an attempt to have the record sealed (most felonies are not sealed, even if you were a juvenile), or 2) Begin the process to have the felony expunged from your criminal history pursuant to the eligibility requirements of your state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.