I have a felony conviction from Hawaii in 1992. Can I get it sealed or expunged?

Sale of a controlled substance 3rd degree. Happened in 1989, accepted a plea deal in 1992.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The answer is unfortunately "no".  If you are arrested or charged with, but not convicted of a crime, you can apply to have that arrest "expunged" or erased from your criminal history record.  A conviction cannot be expunged.

Here's a copy of the statute:  http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0831/HRS_0831-0003_0002.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.