Since I have a felony conviction that I believe is keeping me from obtaining employment, if I move to another state will it show up on a background check?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your frlony conviction can be picked up no matter where you go even though it depends on the type of search the employer does. If he does a fingerprint search it surely will come up. My suggestion is that you apply for Relief from civil disabilities. This is a procedure wherein you ask the trial judge or a successor judge if that judge is gone for a sealing of your record for purpose of your employement. Every state has different procedures on how this is done so check with the criminal clerk in your area or a criminal attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.