What to do if I have a family member who is a financial planner and is being sued by a party who lost money from an investment that didn’t perform well?

My family member thought that the company he used to broker the deal had the proper E & O insurance but turns out they didn’t and have since gone bankrupt. Therefore this party is suing my family member directly and they don’t have the money to fight them, nor do they have the money to pay what they are asking. What can be done in these instances where a lawyer has convinced a party to go after a person or persons, not a corporation, for lost investment money when there is no money available? Is there any option for my family member but sell their house in order to pay lawyer fees or settle?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Another option is to declare bankruptcy if the family member loses the case--he or she could, for example, defend the case him- or herself (acting as his or her own attorney; pro se), on the grounds that a bad investment is NOT grounds to sue a financial planner unless the planner violated fiduciary duty or misrepresented the investment. Then, if the family member loses and there is a judgment against him or her, he or she could file for bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.