If have a voluntary visitation schedule set-up but want to cancel it, do I have to go to court?

For 3 years I have had a DVO against my son’s father. The judge said that it was up to me if I wanted to set up a visitation schedule. I decided I would let him see my son every Wednesday from 4 pm-6 pm a nd on Saturdays from 9 am-6 pm. There is no court ordered visitation set up and now the visitation is not working out with my son. Can I stop the visitation or do I have to go to court to do that?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is no court order with respect to the visitation schedule between your son's father and the son as you have written and the visitation is no longer working out for you and your son with the father, then seemingly it appears that you can just write the father a note ending the situation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. There would be no need to go to court to change the situation since there is no order in place for visitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.