What to do if I have a document signed by an individual who owes me $40,000 and they live out of state?

The document is in the handwriting of the debtor although he didn’t put the date on the document; he put the amount due and the deadline date of payment. Is the document valid although this undated? How much approximately will the legal expenses be to send the case to court? How could I find a law firm here that can litigate there?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The document (promissory note suspected) is a valid document even if not dated since it is signed by the person who owes you the $40,000. I would write the person a note asking for payment beginning the first of Spetember 2012 and continuing until the obligation is paid off. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If you do not get a response as to what you want, then you should consult with an attorney who does contract law in the county where you reside for guidance in the matter. The lawsuit can be filed in the county where you reside if the agreement was entered into there. As to costs for an attorney, that issue is best left to the person who you engage in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.