I have a divorce judgement awarding me money, how do I collect?

The respondent doesn’t have real property or assets that I know of but he is employed. I have been researching the Internet and it sounds like I need a writ of execution? Is this something I can file myself? Unfortunately I cannot afford to retain another attorney.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need a writ of execution, then instructions to county sheriff.  Sometimes the county sheriff has a specific local form for that use.  You should contact the local civil division of your sheriff's dept. 

This is something that you could do yourself, but you could screw it up.  It shouldn't take an attorney all that long really. 

If you are in or near Ventura County, feel free to contact me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.