IWhat to do if have a debt that was sold to a collection agency?

While I do not disput the debt, it is the amount that is in question. I have contacted the bank for a statement of the account detailing the amount owed but they tell me to contact the collection agency. I have contacted the agency and they tell me that they will have to request the statement from the bank, and then in turn mail the statement to me, a process that could take weeks. What are my rights regarding accessing the information on the debt and to who may I exercise these rights? How may I expedite the process?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the issue on the debt issue is to write the creditor and the collection company about the need to get the amount owing on the debt sent to you as soon as possible setting forth what you believe the amount owed is.

Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference. The above suggestion seems to be the best way to resolve the dispute at this time since there does not seem to be a judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.