What to do if I have a debt collection agency trying to sue me for a bill that does not exist on my credit report?

What is my best way to fight this?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Quite simply, deny the debt and do not take any more calls from this collection agency. Take what you have and contact the Federal Trade Commission and file a consumer complaint indicating this collection agency refuses to stop trying to collect on a debt you do not owe and that is not yours. The collection agency cannot violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and if you do not owe a debt, and this entity insists on hounding you, it is now in violation of the FDCPA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.