If I have a contract with a company but the company is changing it’s name, do I need a new contract or can I use an amendment to the existing contract?

Asked on August 18, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A name change has no effect on the validity or enforceability of a contract, whether that is a corporate name change or a personal one (for example, a woman changing her name after marriage). Technically therefore, there is no need at all to do anything. If it would make you feel more comfortable, there would be no harm, however, in a short amendment or appendix to the contract, spelling out that the company formerly known as X is now the company known as Y, all references in the contract to X should be taken to be references to Y, and that the contract continues in force, with all other terms and conditions remaining the same.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.