I have a claim of from an accident held against my driver’s licence that they tell me I need to pay before I get my licence back, what can I do?

I got into a car accident with no car insurance about 4 years ago. a man had run through a red light and I barreled into him. he claimed that I had run the red light and all witnesses fled so the police put no one at fault. The man sued me for $9,000 for the accident, and I could not make the court date so I faxed over the police report stating nobody was at fault and the woman said that would work. I thought it was taken care of but he filed a civil case against me I believe for $14,000 without giving me any notification until it was too late. now that amount of 14,000 is held against me getting my license and I don’t rightfully owe this money because it wasn’t my fault. What can I do? What legal actions would I be looking at?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney right away concerning defending yourself with respect to the automobile accident that you were in and the default against you.

Since you did not answer the complaint, you now have a default judgment against you. Possibly you may be able to get it set aside. If not, you are stuck with a default judgment that you will be required to pay off and satisfy in full in order to clear your driver's license status so you can legally drive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.