What steps must I take to disestablish paternity?

I have a child support case in which I have provided proof to the court that the child is not mine.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to contest paternity of a child is to retain a family law attorney to discuss the situation. The best way is to have DNA testing of yourself and the child claimed to have been fathered by you. The results of the test are then submittd to the court where the child support case is pending via a short or long cause hearing with testimony by the people who conducted the test.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

About the only way to do this is with a DNA test comparing your DNA and that of the child's, to show conclusively that the child cannot be yours. You can get a court order directing that the child be DNA tested, if you have not done so already. Other evidence is generally not sufficient--only DNA is conclusive. If you are tryning to disestablish paternity, you are strongly advised to retain a family law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.