If I have a an S-Corp and want to restructure my business with a name change, should I change the corporate name or should I operate as a DBA?

What would be the most cost effective way?

Asked on February 23, 2015 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What are you trying to accomplish? If it's to just operate under a different name, then simply have your S-corp start doing business under a new name and register as appropriate with your state's department of state. If it's to escape liabilities of the existing business, then create a new S-corp. or limited liability company (LLC)--probably LLC is the better, simpler bet for most purposes (it has the same liability protection and tax benefits as an S-corp., but involves less paperwork and formalities).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.