What to do if I have a case pending and the hospital settled but my lawyer went to jail before I received my check?

How do I find where my money went to?

Asked on August 21, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, if you lawyer had any partners or associates, call the other attorney(s) in the firm--they may be able to help you.

Second, contact the hospital or its attorney (if it had one)--ask them where the check went. If it went to the attorney, find out also if it has been cashed or deposited. If it was not cashed or deposited, they may be able to stop or void it and send you a new check. If it has been cashed or deposited, contact your state bar association for help; they typically assist clients whose money has been taken or otherwise misplaced by their lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.