If I have a brother who has an order of protection against him due to his wife so is now living with me, however I own legal firearms and he is not allowed to have them, must I give them up?

He was made to leave his primary residence and has moved in the residence I live in now in a different county because he has 50% ownership.

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally, if someone is prohibited from owning firearms that extends to possessing them or having access to them. This means that none should be on the premises in which they live, no mater who the legal/registered owner is. Accordingly, you should remove them your guns until such time as your brother moves out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.