What should I do regarding an outstanding 5 year old warrant?

I was supposed to turn myself in for a DUI conviction and do 4 months jail time. I left the state, for good reason, before my turn-in date. I have not been back. I’ve been working for 4 years now supporting my 3 kids. Have not been in any other trouble since. Is there a way I can take care if this without having to do the jail time. I can’t get a better job with this on my background. If I leave I would be fired. Is there anyway I could handle it frim another state?

Asked on April 1, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You need to take care of this sooner than later. The fact is that a warrant does not expire. Additionally, as you are aware, it will show up in an employment or similar background check. At this point, you should contact a criminal law attorney in the area of where the warrants were issued as they can best advise you further. However, you will have to travel back and appear personally before a judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.