CanI keep my child’s father from seeing our daughter if he has not paid support?

I have a 13 month old and her father recently left us. He is on her birth certificate. I do not receive child support. Do I have to let him see her?

Asked on July 29, 2010 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) You cannot simply prevent him from seeing her--if you do, you may leave yourself open to liability.

2) However, if you haven't already, you should be able to establish an enforceable legal obligation for him to pay child support, an obligation which the court/legal system will help you enforce. You should speak with an attorney about this. If you cannot afford one, try contacting your state legal aid, or perhaps a single mother's advocacy or support group (which may have attorneys who will help out.) You and your child have rights and are entitled to support, so you should go and ask for it, using the court system, which should be your ally in this case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.