How does being in business and being employed with an F-1 visa work?

Can I start a business in the US if I have visa F1 and I am working 15 hours a day as teaching assistant? Maximum for F-1 students is 20 hours I think and just for the university. Can I open a webpage and get paid for the services I am offering or advertisements in my webpage? In the case that I could should I report to anyone? Can I open the business in my country of origin and then make business with US with resources from US?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As an F-1 student, you are able to start a business but you are not permitted to derive any income in the US unless you are specifically authorized for employment.  As such, you can reinvest all the money you receive back into the business and the business can hire others who will get paid if they are authorized to work.  I would strongly suggest that YOU not take any income so that it does not impact on your future ability to immigrate to the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.