I have 2 checks made out to my late mother totalling about 300.00. There is no executor. How do I get these cashed?

easiest way to get cashed. Expire in about a month.

Asked on August 28, 2016 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Go to the bank with the checks and your mother's death certificate.  The bank teller will tell you to endorse the checks and write your mother's date of death on the back of the checks.  It would be advisable not to endorse the check until you speak with the teller.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.