If I have a teenage daughter who has developed cataracts from taking various medications, canI file a medical malpractice claim?

My 17 year old daughter has developed cataracts. The medications she is taking is seroquel and various steroids for eczema. We have no history of cataracts in our family. I took her to an optometrist and they stated they never seen someone that young and stated it may have been caused from her medications. I was never informed by her physician that she may develop cataracts from taking any medication. Is there anything that can be done about this? If so, who can I contact regarding this situation?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  The best thing that you can do is to go and seek consultation from both an opthamologist and an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice lawsuits.  Doing a little research yourself on line to see what the listed side effects of the drugs are and if there are any connections known between the drugs and the problem that has developed in your daughter.  Medical malpractice can be a very difficult thing to prove and creating a causal connection where there may have not been one before against a drug company or drug companies can be even more difficult.  But the opthamologist gave you the opening and you need to pursue it for your daughter's sake  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.