i have 13 years being in the u.s.a and i am 18 years old I wasn’t born in the U.S.A if i file for the status application what what would be the chance

I want to know what is the chance that i qualify to become a permanent resident.

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

On what basis would you be filing for permanent resident status?  If you entered the US unlawfully and have remained in the US unlawfully, you are not eligible for legalization within the US.  If you already turned 18 you have started to accrue unlawful presence time and if you are more than 6 months past your 18th birthday, you will be barred from reentering the US if you depart the US to process your visa abroad.  If you are not yet 180 days past your 18th birthday, you SHOULD leave the US so that you WILL be able to return to the US with a legal status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.