What to do if I had work done to my engine by a mechanic who gave me a warranty but after 2 months the engine failed and now the mechanic does not want to own up to the warranty?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A warranty is, in essence a contract. That means that if one party to it (like the mechanic) will not honor its terms, the other party can enforce it in court. You could bring a lawsuit against the mechanic, seeking monetary compensation (such as the cost to make the repairs which he should be making).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.