What to do if a shelter adopted out one of my dogs and put the other down?

I had 2 dogs – 1 was a mixed lab/shepard mix and 1 was a minature dauchshound that I paid $400 for. I had them in a lot but they got out. I looked for them and went to the shelter; I gave them the info regarding my dogs and left my contact information as well; that was on the 3rd of this month. I put an ad in the paper on the 8th. On the on 10th some one call that saw the ad and said that he had been to the shelter on the 9th and saw both of my dogs. Howeer, by the time he called the shelter was closed. On the 21st, I called the shelter and the lady said I know that they were your dogs but we misplaced your information; she then said that they were no longer there. I then talked to the manager and he told me on the 10th he adopted my dauchshound and put my lab down.

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Business Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the animal shelter that adopted out your one dog and put done the other seems to have a problem. You are entitled to get the return of the one dog that was adopted out and as to the one that was put down, you are entitled to monetary damages for its loss. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney as to what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.