If I had my phone stolen last night while I was drinking at a local bar and report it to the police, can I be charged with MIC since I’m underage?

I am a minor and I was drinking, so I wanted to know how that will affect me if I were to go report it to the police. Am I in danger of being charged with an MIC if I admit that I was intoxicated when it was stolen?

Asked on October 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Well that is a strong possibility but there is no BAC level now so the police may not be so concerned with you as they will be with the bar who served an underage individual.  If you have a tracker on your telephone, you may wish to try to track it that way.  Otherwise, consider contacting your telephone company about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.