What to do if I had my car serviced by a dealer and when they went to wash the car, smashed the whole passenger side?

They have had my car since last week and it is still not fixed. Should I get an attorney?

Asked on September 29, 2014 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If they damaged your car, they are liable for the repair costs. If they do not voluntarily pay, you could sue them. If you feel that they are not going to honor their obligations--or rather, at the moment you decide that it looks like they will not honor their obligations--that is the time to either:

1) Retain an attorney, IF the cost to repair would be more than your small claims limit (since the claim would need to be large enough as to justify the cost of the lawyer); or

2) File a small claims suit yourself, acting as your own lawyer (to save on legal bills), if the repair cost is less than the small claims limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.