What to do if I had a fully insured rental vehicle and someone rammed into me and fled?

A retired police officer got his license plate. Another person took a picture of his license plate and texted that picture to my phone. Policemen came and wrote a police report and got the person’s license plate number.I was taken to the emergency room and released. My neck and back are sore. What is my next step?

Asked on September 5, 2013 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the person for any injuries or costs not paid for by any insurance coverage (to the extent you are compensated by insurance, you may not also sue for "double recovery"). A personal injury attorney should know how to locate them basedc on the license plate information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.