If I got a ticket for disorderly conduct before I was placed on probation, is that grounds for a probation officer to violate me?

I had gotten a Dui in march and when I went to court I was put on a years probation. The day before i had court I had acquired a ticket for disorderly conduct in the 4th degree misdemeanor but I had gotten it before I was on probation. When I met with my probation officer she said do not get arrested from that point on and id have to let her know. I didn’t let her know of what had happened the day before because it happened before i was ever even on probation. Can she try to violate me even though it happened before I was legally on probation?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your facts state that you received a DUI charge in March, and you were subsequently placed on probation.  However, you stated that the day before you went to court, you were charged on an unrelated case for "disorderly conduct".  Your question is whether your probation can be revoked as a result of the disorderly conduct offense.  Your probation may not be revoked as a result of an offense that occurred prior to the date of sentencing on a criminal offense.  Your probation begins at the time of sentencing.  If you were charged with a new offense prior to sentencing, it should not affect your probationary status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.