What to do about an agreement that a collection company no longer wants to honor?

I had an agreement with a collection agency for a credit card I got behind on. After 2 years the credit card company is sending the card to a new collection agent and no longer wants to honor the agreement. Can I just continue to honor the original agreement, perhaps sending the payment to the card issuer instead of the old collection agency?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement (which is good) or an oral agreement with the debt collection company that you have honored for the past two (2) years I would continue to pay the monthly amount that you have been doing even if the new debt collection company does not wish to honor the terms. Your position should be that its terms carry over to the new debt collection company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.