If I had an accident in my new car but only had gap insurance, what I should do?

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If someone else was at fault in the accident (for example, another car hit you), you could sue that person to recover any amounts you have to pay out. But if there is no one else you could sue, you will be personally responsible for all the damage to your car and continuing to pay any lease or financing/loan payments. If it's truly more than you could afford, you may have to consider bankruptcy as an option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.