If I was given a misdiagnosis and had a procedure that I didn’t need as a result, am I entitled to compensation?

I had abnormal cervical cells 5 years ago. I was told I needed a uterine ablasion and tubal ligation. After some research I realized I did not have to have my tubes tied. My husband at the time had our marriage annulled because I couldn’t give him kids. I’ve met the man I plan to marry and have a long happy life with. He has no kids of his own and wants them. I feel like I was coerced and given false information. I’d like a reversal procedure and to be compensated for all I’ve gone through. Is this possible?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, even if this was malpractice, it is most likely too late for you to take legal action. There is a time limit on how long a person has to sue--and if you can't sue, you have no way to make the other party give you compensation. This time limit is called the "statute of limitations." Once it runs out, a person cannot take legal action. In your state, the time period for professional, including medical malpractice, is only 2 years, except in certain exceptional circumstances. There, it is most likely the case that you cannot seek compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.