Can a workers comp case be re-opened?

I had a workers comp injury 14 years ago that required 2 screws to be placed in my thumb. Now, working with a new employer ,I had to have the screws removed due to pain. My short term disability was denied by my current employer. Can I get the workers comp claim reopened to recover my lost wages?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming your prior worker's compensation claim and case was not closed and your claim settled in full, it can be re-opened. However, from what you have written and the passage of 14 years, most likely your prior worker's compensation claim was settled in full and closed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.