What to do if my mom recieved a call from the police asking to talk to me?

I’m ot sure how they got her number; they called from another state. They said they couldn’t go into details but it was about me apparently harassing someone.

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak with them (at least not without having a lawyer present); you are under no legal obligation to do so. The police are trained and experienced in getting people to make incriminating statements. At thispoint, you shoulf consult directly with a criminal defense attorney. After hearing all of the details of your situation they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.