If I had a order of protection against me and the person who filed for it sent me a e-mail and I replied, can I be charged for violating the order?

The deputy said that she can contact me and that doesn’t break the order. Is this true?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Missouri


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You indicated that a protective order was issued against you which prohibited you from contacting the victim.  Nevertheless, the victim sent you an e-mail to which you responded.  Your question is whether you can be charged for violating the protective order.  The answer is YES!  The protective order is not issued against the victim.  Any contact directly or indirectly initiated by you to the victim in the case is a violation of the court order.  If the victim informs the authorities that you contacted him/her, you could be arrested and charged with the felony offense of aggravated stalking for which you could be incarcerated without a bond. It is not uncommon for victims who have applied for and received a temporary protective order (TPO) to contact the other party, and once they become upset, contact the authorities to have the person arrested for violation of the protective order.  Accordingly, during the term of the protective order, you should never communicate or contact the other party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.