If I had a lock breakand I paid to fix itout-of-pocket. is itOK to send the receipt and deduct the cost from my rent?

My super never came by to fix it. I just want to make sure I am not doing something completely illegal that will jeopardize my security deposit. I’ve tried to call every legal aid office for Queens and nobody is helping me.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have provided written notice to the landlord to fix the lock and a reasonable opportunity for the repair to be made, then you probably can make the repair yourself (since it goes to safety and habitability) and deduct the cost from rent. However, even if  this would, if challenged, ultimately be held to be legal, if the landlord does challenge it, you could be forced to defend yourself in court--which is never certain, and which can cost money and time. You may wish to try this, but to be prepared to absorb the cost yourself if the landlord challenges it, to avoid litigation; or better yet, try to get authorization in advance to make the repair and deduct the cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.