If I had a friend’s relative work on my car because he said it would be relatively cheap but he never finished the repairs, what can I do?

I got an estimate of $850 from him and went with it. I towed my car to him on 8 onths ago. It needed a little body work and some pulling, along with repainting a fender, hood and installing headlights. I paid extra for a tune-up and oil change as well. What can I do about this incredible time loss? I cannot call him; he doesn’t pick up at all. He apparently never checks his messages or does not care. I have gone to his house 3 times but no one answers the door at all. I have left a note to call me on his door and still nothing. My car is parked outside his garage with about 75% of the work completed.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could potentially sue him for compensation--such as for any costs you've incurred through not having a car; for the cost to have it towed to a repair shop; and for the cost to have someone complete the repairs. An agreement like the one you describe, even if it was oral or verbal (not written) is legally enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.