If I had a felony conviction for theft, is it possible to get my record expunged or pardoned so I can get my court reporter license?

I successfully completed 10 years probation and restitution and have been off probation for 2 years. I was 3 months from becoming a court reporter at the time of my conviction. I don’t think I had a deferred adjudication. I’m just trying to determine what my options are or if my dreams of being a court reporter are over.

Asked on September 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I would speak with a criminal attorney in your area.  It is my understanding that adults convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may seek expungement if their charges were dismissed after successful completion of probation. But these records are sealed and not destroyed. To be eligible, you must not have any other criminal convictions. I would also look in to the option of a pardon.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.