If I had a case that was dismissed because of an illegal search and seizure, can I sue the police for damages?

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If it is a basic case, then generally no, you cannot sue the police for damages because they have the protection of investigatorial immunity.   However, there are some limited exceptions when the conduct is grossly outside of their function.  If you think that your case is completely out of bounds, then you should take a copy of the case and/or transcript of any hearings to an attorney to review and see if the conduct was such that it would qualify as an exception to the immunity protection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.