If I had a car totalled in an accident and I didn’t know I had gap insurance until almost a year later, is it too late for me to file?

I altered paid the balance.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Accident Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Possubly it may be an untimely claim to your insurance carrier about the incident that you are writing about and the issue of "gap" insurance that you did not know about concerning your totalled car.

However, it is better to be safe than sorry about a possible claim. As such, I recommend that you make a claim to your insurance carrier about the issue you are writing about sooner rather than later. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.