How to handle a motorcycle injury?

I had a car pull out in front of me and I had to lock up my brakes on my motorcycle. I planted my leg and it broke. My bike is not damaged and the person did not even know what they did. Do I file my medical claims with my car insurance or motorcycle insurance?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Indiana


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am very sorry to hear this happened to you.  Unfortunately, it sounds as if you do not have any information about the driver who caused this incident.  If you do have this information, you should establish an injury claim with that driver's insurance policy.  If you do not have this information, you can submit your medicals to your own insurance carrier, however, whether or not they will be covered is dependent upon your policy and the coverage you have.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.