If I had a bad auto accident 11 years ago and my auto insurance paid my hospital bills and subsequent care, what can I do if I need back surgery now?

I never “signed off” on it but have had back problems since my regular insurance paid for. I no longer have health insurance and am wondering how I might get a needed back surgery paid for, like from my auto insurance.

Asked on November 14, 2015 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it was 11 years ago, it's too late to take action: the "statute of limitations," or time within which you must take legal action (e.g. file a lawsuit) has long passed either for the accident itself (that is a 3-year statute of limitations; i.e. the lawsuit against another driver, if there was another, at-fault driver, should have been brought within 3 years of the accident) or for your insurer's actions, if you feel that somehow breached their obligation under the insurance policy (insurance policies are contracts; the statute of limitations for breach of contract in your state is 6 years).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.