What to do if I got pulled over at a traffic stop and didn’t have proof of insurance with me?

I’m a student and do not reside at home; I was using the car for the night. It is insured in my parents’ names. However, I did not have proof of it being insured at the time and I got a ticket. Can l show proof of my parents’ insurance at the office, or do l have to go to court?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under General Practice, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on the jurisdiction where the ticket is pending.� Often, they will allow you to fax or email a copy of the insurance proof to the prosecutor or court and they will proceed to dismiss the ticket.� Others do require that you show in court and bring the documentation.� Start with a phone call... that may work to resolve the situation.� If you have to go to court or file an writen appearance... then make sure you do one or both.� Many people forget to file an appearance or show for court... which results in a second charge for failing to appear.�

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.