What to do if I got picked up on a warrant for a 3 year old probation violation?

I missed a payment; I have court in a few days and I’m nervous. My friend told me i should waive my right to a public defender and just plead guilty but this makes me feel a bit uneasy. I have a job and split custody/child support, so I can’t really afford to go to jail. How would you say I should proceed?

Asked on July 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Much of what you can do will depend on the court and your probation officer.  You really need to have an attorney to help you... whether it's a court appointed or retained attorney.  Sometimes, surviving a revocation is just a mater of catching up some community service and fine payments.  Other times, it means jail time.  Because you do have split custody, you may be able to simple sit out jail time during times that you don't have your children.  Sometimes judges are less than patient with people who have violated their conditions of probation... that's why you really need to get an attorney lined up to help you... so that they can help you reassure the judge and your probation officer that you have moved forward in a positive direction and are no longer in need to rehabilitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.